Watch and Forecasting Department
The Weather Watch and Prediction (WWP) Department assists the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) in Africa to better serve the end-users and communities with the provision of short to medium range weather forecast.
The WWP Department has access to a variety of dynamical model outputs and satellite products using its telecommunication system made up with MSG on EUMETCast, a EUMETSAT primary dissemination mechanism for the near real-time delivery of satellite data and products. The department has a central processing system, namely MESSIR COM and MESSIR Vision servers, links to the Regional Teleconnection Centres and EAMAC, and a SYNERGY workstation comprising one server and 3 PC clients installed. Current products generated by the WWP department according to ACMAD web site include:
- A continental scale daily weather forecast bulletin for the general public, and distributed in both French and English;
- A Daily Severe Weather Forecast Bulletin with continent wide coverage and valid for 3 days;
- Maximum daily Temperature forecast: D-1; D; D+1; D+2; D+3
- A 7-day Rainfall Monitoring Bulletin, in which the previous 7-day rainfall events area summarised and the forecast is issued for the next 7 days;
- Daily Heavy Rainfall/Flash Flood Risk Bulletin for Africa;
- Vigilance Bulletin for Africa valid for 3days designed for DRM;
- Vigilance Bulletin for Africa valid for 7days designed for DRM;
- An analyses and forecast of key elements characterizing the West African monsoon;
- A regional analysis and forecast of synoptic elements and atmosphere dynamics for Southern Africa and Western Africa region.
Contact: Chief of the Department, Weather Watch and Prediction, African Center of Meteorological Applications for Development, Niamey, Niger email:Previ@acmad.org