With reference to the Constitution of ACMAD, the Centre’s purpose is to improve understanding of atmospheric and climatic processes over Africa, collect, analyze and disseminate meteorological and hydrological information, provide a meteorological watch and early warning system over Africa and promote the training of African scientists and technicians in the application of meteorology for development.
With reference to Decision 2 of the United Economic Commission for Africa’s Conference of Ministers in 1996 sharpening the objectives and long term goal of ACMAD, the Centre’s is the a continental weather and climate watch institution for Africa and the African Centre of excellence for meteorological Application for sustainable development .
As the continental weather and climate watch institution for Africa, ACMAD provides:
– Regular continental medium to long range weather and climate prediction
– Continental early warnings on drought, tropical cyclones and other extremes
As the African Centre of Excellence for meteorological applications for sustainable development for Africa, ACMAD provides:
– Capacity building on the applications of meteorology for sustainable social and economic development at the national level;
– Development of methodologies and techniques for applications at national and sub regional levels;
– Stronger participation in global climate and weather watch programmes;
-Specialized training to relevant professionals and development practitioners in Africa;
– Appropriate research, data, and networking facilities to research programmes in Africa.
ACMAD DECISIONS AND RESOLUTIONS